Thursday, September 10, 2009

Penis Worship

The pictures were taken by my blogger buddy Prash in Bangkok, Thailand at a penis shrine.

Ever since my short IM dating site conversation w/ "cougars pet" (whom I suspect was probably not old enough to be on an online dating site) where he tried to impress me with visions of his 12 inch penis, I've been thinking about traditional generalizations & standards concerning that... "certain part of the male anatomy."

One line of thought I've been following is here . According to this author the "norm" has been thrust upon us by artists, filmmakers, medical illustrators, advertisers & even humorists.

For instance the proliferation of pornography & the way it portrays the penis reinforces these generalizations. The writer in the above link calls pornography's penis a "Glorious Phallus" image. (I've always thought of the pornographic penis as a "penis on steroids" image)

The Ad industry also lives up to it's reputation for exaggeration. Companies that advertise male enhancement products compound the problem by stretching the truth to sell their products. You would think that everyone would understand this but companies pay a lot for advertising because it works.

I have no problem with men being proud of their penis's. I think they are an attractive feature, but I hate the generalizations & stereotypes that the media perpetrates. I feel it might cause many a perfectly good man to not realize his full potential.

I had one friend (a male) tell me when I was discussing this with him, that it's simply immaturity & inexperience that causes people to believe the hype. I suppose this might be true.
I would tell "cougars pet" if I ever met him again to calm down, relax don't worry about "size" because it's not that big of a deal.

The ponderous penis...

37 Comments:

At 12:08 AM , Anonymous Infidel753 said...

The pictures were taken by my blogger buddy Prash in Bangkok, Thailand at a penis shrine.

Well, what do you expect from a city called "Bangkok". :-)

Personally I've never met a woman who expressed any interest in the subject of penis size, nor any man who expressed insecurity (or bragging) about it, but the insecurity must be out there, judging by the notorious percentage of e-mail spam that plays on it. Maybe there really are people who get their knowledge of sex from porn videos?

Penis shrines (and similar vaginal ones) used to be quite common in Japan, by the way, and huge stone carvings are still sometimes found in rural villages, startling unwary tourists. There were even penis festivals. It all had to do with pagan beliefs about fertility, though, not about pornography or size obsessions. Most of the shrines and festivals, despite being thousands of years old, were banned under the fascist regime in the 1930s because they considered them an embarrassment to the country (fascists everywhere are uptight prudes, it seems).

 
At 2:54 AM , Blogger Quantum_Flux said...

I'm still waiting on my horse penis transplant Rita.

 
At 6:58 AM , Anonymous rita said...

infidel
It all had to do with pagan beliefs about fertility, though, not about pornography or size obsessions. I'd guess there was a healthy dose of the latter even way back then.

Speaking of vaginal shrines & fascist prudes...I thought this was interesting.

qf
I'm thinking horse penis transplants are not high on the list of medical procedure priorities. You might be waiting a long time. ;)

 
At 11:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, now, Rita, this is a photo that gets people's attention! ;)

what do you expect from a city called "Bangkok". :-)

LMAO!

 
At 11:48 AM , Anonymous Infidel753 said...

Well, think about it. "Bangkok" is the capital of a country whose name looks like it should be pronounced "thigh-land", where most women's names seem to end in "-porn", and the main tourist-resort island is called "Phuket". It's no wonder they get so many sex tourists.

 
At 11:49 AM , Anonymous Infidel753 said...

I'm still waiting on my horse penis transplant Rita.

Sounds like a must-have -- for people who want to have sex with horses.

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger Quantum_Flux said...

Infidel, I'm sure you mean for all the women of the world who want to have an excellent and wild time in bed.

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger mac said...

1986.
I was in the Army, serving in Germany. We had been in the woods for four days and I had been on a flight everytime shower call was made.

I was feeling pretty funky, and stressed to my supervisors that I must bee in the shower run that night. About 1900 (7:00PM) my platoon leader came for me saying, " Mac, grab your stuff, we're hitting the showers"
YES !!
They had rented a school gymnasium for the shower point. I suppose twenty folks taking a shower within a short while requires such an accomadation.

In the shower, I was really enjoyingthe fresh hot water running down my face and across my body.
I hadn't even paid attention that another man had entered the shower too. He was merely washing, like me. BUT as I rensed the soap from my face and opened my eyes again, I saw IT !!!

IT was his penis. IT was the largest one I have ever seen- still! IT swung to kneee.

Feeling inadequate and maybe just a little aprehensive, I left without rinsing the shampoo comepletely from my hair.

I didn't say a word until later when I asked my flight crew, "Hey, have any of you guys seen Sargeant G's penis?" After they were done laughing at me, they too admitted to seeing but barely believing such a thing existed right in our midst.

HUGE, I tells ya .

 
At 5:58 PM , Blogger mac said...

I've read that eventhough public displays of phallyc symbols were quite common in Rome during the Empire, a large penis was seen as a weakness for a man to possess.

Of course, they didn't have a lot of our hang-ups with homophobia either?

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Prash said...

the old classic pun joke of Bangkok :-) lol

To secound the thoughts of INFIDEL, in India, penis and vagina are always refered to as fertility...but the Victorian Law imposal in the British Raj (how the sub-continent - India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal & Sri Lanka- was named during the British rule)...such pagan or tribal beliefs were wiped out.

A venezuelan friend (girl) of mine told me : size doesn't matter, as long as the guy knows how to play with the instrument, we woman are ok with it I don't know how far it is true. Why I am saying this is that I am in Hong Kong (= China) and here, western woman rarely go out with Chinese men ... but you see many western men with chinese women ! After many discussions with single western woman here...the only answer I get is "no satisfaction" ! And, these questioned women claim that asian are not attractive to them because of this generalized idea of bigger the penis bigger the satisfaction.

 
At 5:52 AM , Blogger Kalanchoe542 said...

Rita,

I think you and Breakerslion should get together. With your post about penises followed the next day by his post about vaginas it is obvious there is some magical chemistry in the air! We humans are a really odd and twisted lot. We worship icons that exaggerate sexual organs then turn those very same icons into objects of shame and disgrace. I think it makes perfect sense to worship the symbols of the perpetuation of life, and the ancients were smart enough to realize that without sex organs the species would die out. I think pornography might just be our slightly sick way of trying to "thrust" them back into our attention. But then, what do I know, really? :-)

 
At 7:22 AM , Anonymous rita said...

infidel
Thailand...remember, this is the country my religious brother went to go save.

& now he is back, penniless & more insane then when he left.

Elizabeth
Yes, I wonder how penis shrines would go over in the States?


qf
I hate to burst your bubble *er...hymen* but women are simply not built for that sort of thing. Not normal average women anyway.

Mac
That is an interesting story. It's sounds as if your platoon leader used the impact of his "superior" manhood to assert his authority.
I suppose that is one benefit of a giant penis.

On the other hand, thinking that it might be a sign of weakness in a culture is also interesting. Perhaps they thought it robbed the rest of the body of power?

Prash
Maybe it is inexperience talking again, this time on the part of the women & perhaps their partners?
& of course there is the perception "thrust" upon us by popular culture. Sex-role stereo-types for example, that we are all influenced by & even reinforce ourselves. Of course "sex-role" meaning gender expectations more then sexual expectations. But, doesn't it all tie in together?

kalanchoe
I will have to go check that one out. I am fascinated by vaginal symbols as well as phallic ones.
"thrust" it's a word that seems to want insert itself into the subject matter. ;)

 
At 8:52 AM , Blogger Sue said...

Rita you came to visit me at the most appropriate time, for you see, My Favorite word in the English language just happens to be PENIS!! Yup, penis penis penis!!!

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Infidel753 said...

& now he is back, penniless & more insane then when he left.

What?! Oh, penniless. At first I read that as penisless.

 
At 11:43 AM , Blogger Quantum_Flux said...

Hmmm, Rita, I kind of suspected this as a problem, there must be a mechanical solution for that however. Perhaps the brilliant folks over at the garden of eden will solve this problem.

 
At 3:53 PM , Blogger mac said...

Well, for a horse, I may seem small. For a mouse, I may seem large.....

But, for a man, I'm just right ;-)

 
At 7:54 PM , Anonymous rita said...

sue
"penis" yeah, that's a word with some feeling attached to it. LOL!

infidel
Hmmmm, well maybe they took that, too.

qf
"Gosh" You are such a nerd."Gosh"
(Napoleon dynamite impersonation)

mac
That is very profound.

 
At 9:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to SO the majority of women want a guy with a big crank. I, however, totally disagree with that. I know there are women out there that this is true for but I don't believe it's the majority. As I've told SO, I couldn't care if he even has a penis. I often wonder why I'm not a lesbian :-)

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger Rita said...

another girl I also bet a majority of men believe that. A book I was reading Titled "The Intimate Male" brought up the stereo-typical way boys are often raised gives a subtle (sometimes not so subtle) message that penis size has to do with manhood & power.
When I look at certain images of penis's they come across as weapons. Guys might laugh at this but a penis can be a frightening thing to a women. I like to play around with photography & I think about how I would photograph one, myself. I know that is a bit over the top but I do tend to get obsessive about things. :)

I think if I photographed a very large penis I'd have to put a flower in it.this gives the idea. :)

 
At 3:48 PM , Blogger Quantum_Flux said...

If penises are anything like cell phones then I'm a Blackberry.

 
At 9:55 PM , Blogger mac said...

The penis as a weapon brings the old question to mind...

If women ruled the world, would missiles be shaped differently?

And Rita? Don't fear the penis, it could be your friend ;-)

 
At 11:02 PM , Blogger mac said...

Thinking on it I can see how a woman might be intimidated by one.

We have such harsh euphemisms for them. They are called rods, cranks, cocks, talleywhackers, peckers, hammmers, snakes.

In an effort to be more user friendly, I will try, henceforth, to use less harsh euphemisms for mine. I was thinking little mac, but I might have copyright issues with Ronald there. Maybe I'll just stick with the comman ones, like weinner or one eyed wonder worm. You know, happy names :-)

 
At 4:59 PM , Blogger Rev. Barky said...

Penises!

You're just trying to break your record for comments - like the 44 for JUSTAFUNGI.

This is 23.

8===>

 
At 7:01 PM , Anonymous rita said...

mac "Little mac"
Quarter pounder?

I'm sure there's some psychology involved with males propensity for naming their penis's. It's almost it's like a seperate person. Well, I suppose it does have a mind of it's own.

rev I'm not! It's just a fascinating subject is all.

"(.)(.)"

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

While results vary across studies, the consensus is that the average erect human penis is approximately 12.9–15 cm (5.1–5.9 in) in length with 95% of adult males falling within the interval (10.7 cm, 19.1 cm) or (4.23 in, 7.53 in).

The typical girth or circumference is approximately 12.3 cm (4.84 in) when fully erect. The average penis size is slightly larger than the median size (i.e. most penises are below average in size).

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger mac said...

"I'm sure there's some psychology involved with males propensity for naming their penis's."

That's because we don't want a stranger making all of our decissions for us !

 
At 2:28 AM , Anonymous Infidel753 said...

Curious how a posting, the point of which is that penis size isn't very important, results in a flood of male commenters talking about penis size.....:-)

 
At 5:43 AM , Anonymous rita said...

Thanks for the statistics Poetryman
"No penis is an Island," eh?

Mac
Very funny. :) does the little guy have a sense of humor, too?

infidel
Did you expect anything else?
Much more fun then the depressing subject of the
million moran march.

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger mac said...

Yes, Rita.

The "little guy" makes me laugh frequently ;-)

 
At 4:55 AM , Anonymous Hugh G. Rection said...

Much more fun then the depressing subject of the million moran march.

Yep, that's pretty depressing.....funny how 70,000 teabaggers (DC Fire Dept. estimate) become one million or two million or whatever -- must be a "miracle", one of those multiplying-loaves-and-fishes type deals.....

 
At 7:14 AM , Blogger Kalanchoe542 said...

Come on, people, let's get it right! The plural of penis is penises or, if you want to use the Latin, penes. What's with all the misplaced apostrophes? Time to go back to the books and look up plural vs possessive. Sheesh!

Besides, doesn't it make most guys uncomfortable to think of more than one penis in the same place at the same time?

This comment brought to you by the Word/Grammar Nazi.

:-)

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger Kalanchoe542 said...

Come on, people, let's get it right! The plural of penis is penises or, if you want to use the Latin, penes. What's with all the misplaced apostrophes? Time to go back to the books and look up plural vs possessive. Sheesh!

Besides, doesn't it make most guys uncomfortable to think of more than one penis in the same place at the same time?

This comment brought to you by the Word/Grammar Nazi.

:-)

 
At 7:42 AM , Anonymous E. Normus Peccar said...

Besides, doesn't it make most guys uncomfortable to think of more than one penis in the same place at the same time?

Or the same comment in two different places at the same time.....:-)

 
At 9:01 AM , Anonymous rita said...

Clever names, Huge & enormous.

Speaking off...Million moran march. Talk about exaggeration!


kalancloe
I admit I need a proof reader.
I'll pay more attention to my penises in the future.
Actually this is the first time I've ever expounded on the subject.

 
At 10:09 AM , Anonymous Ivan Biggar-Johnson said...

Speaking off...Million moran march. Talk about exaggeration!

I guess it's Glenn Beck's way of bragging that his "crowd" is bigger than everyone else's.

I'll pay more attention to my penises in the future. Actually this is the first time I've ever expounded on the subject.

This posting would make an awesome newspaper column, especially with the photos. Just think of the letters to the editor you'd get!

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Kalanchoe542 said...

E.Normus - not my typical style to post twice. You can thank Blogger/The Internet/My Computer for making me redundant.

Rita - sorry, that was a very petty comment I made and it was directed at the world at large, not you specifically. I think you are quite amazing, and as such you get a permanent "BUY" from the Word/Grammar Nazi. Such is my power, oh yeah....... ;-)

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger Kalanchoe542 said...

E.Normus - not my typical style to post twice. You can thank Blogger/The Internet/My Computer for making me redundant.

Rita - sorry, that was a very petty comment I made and it was directed at the world at large, not you specifically. I think you are quite amazing, and as such you get a permanent "BUY" from the Word/Grammar Nazi. Such is my power, oh yeah....... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home