Thursday, May 07, 2009

Time To Move On....

One more thing...

I was so glad that Bryans sister posted on his blog & let us know what had happened to him. I remember one conversation Bryan & I had recently when he was particularly down in the dumps. he hinted that he might not be around much longer. I asked him to please be sure I was told if something happened to him. I see he took those steps.
Because of this, if something happens to me I've decided I would make sure my blogging friends were alerted because they deserve the same courtesy as all my other friends.
Oregon State Flower Oregon Grape
Berberis aquifolium

A low growing plant, the Oregon Grape is native to much of the Pacific Coast and found sparsely east of the Cascades. Its year-round foliage of pinnated, waxy green leaves resembles holly. The plant bears dainty yellow flowers in early summer and a dark blue berry that ripens late in the fall. The fruit can be used in cooking.
Yesterday I tried some Oregon Grape flower wine (yes, made from just the flowers) that a friend of mine concocted . It was sweet but pretty tasty if you just sipped it. Nothing I'd want to drink to excess though. The hangover would probably be vicious.

If a person decides to become involved in politics it is guaranteed there will be people in positions of power who will react strongly to anyone challenging their position.
My foray into local politics required learning to deal with the slings & arrows of political opponents & their lackeys & even turning it to my advantage.

There are certain strategies that work best in dealing with people who are "out to get you".
My oldest daughter has a past history of becoming her own worst enemy when dealing with confrontations, like her divorce for instance, which got ugly & out of hand after she took an axe to her ex's truck. (Thank goodness he wasn't in it.) She's still paying the repercussions of that fiasco & it's been 5 years. I've watched her make these kinds of mistakes & rash decisions much of her life. Like when she was a teenager, a bunch of kids were being harassed by one of the local policeman. She got the bright idea to collect a 5 gallon bucket of nasty garbage, sneak up to the cops house & dump it on his cop car in the middle of the night. You'd be surprised at the repercussions a silly thing like that can have.
She's always had a "No ones going to fuck with me & get away with it" attitude that has gained her mostly trouble in the long run.

I pretty much stayed under the radar until a few years ago when I became fed up with the bully tactics of local Law enforcement...that's when i decided to get involved. Anyway, to make a long story short...I found out what happens when you butt heads with the "Good ole Boys" club of local politics.
Not only have I kept my head above water but I've gained ground.

Here's a few things that I think have kept me going in a foreword direction:

1.I got indignant on principle. I realized something was wrong although I couldn't quite articulate it at the time. I knew there was a fundamental problem with Law enforcement & I decided I was going to bring it to light. I still try to always keep sight of my initial indignation.

2. I took a leadership role & made myself a spokesperson, therefore I became publicly responsible for my actions. Being in the public eye at the very least makes a person consider what they are doing.

3. I don't take the bait that my opponents throw at me. The best way to respond is to not swallow the bait. That's how you stop the negative dialogue in it's tracks.

4. Counteract the negative thrown at you with a positive. Your opponents will always accuse you of being a negative influence. Prove them wrong.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Mainly I just want to get on with my life. Selfish as that sounds...

8 Comments:

At 6:19 AM , Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Morning Ms.Rita... and Happy Mama's Day to you as well!

I didnt know Bryan, but having read some of his post's, I feel he was finding life to be a lil more of a burden, and about ready to let it go( All I am saying is this is what I think... I could surely be wrong... I knew nothing about this man). I had many close to me die ... a few died at my side, I weep to this day over it... having a friend dying before me...and clenching on to my hand/arm... begging me to help them, including my own mother, who rotted a horrible slow death at my side, because the doctor's wouldnt let her die, and I didnt have the courage to pull the plug on her, because she was my mom...not because of the legal repercussion's, I can do time on my head. But when the pain was so bad and she wanted to die...the doctor's said she wasnt in her right mind from the trauma...and it is illegal in the state she was to decide to terminate herself, they kept her alive for a few week's...(and billed my dad over $100,000 out of pocket for this) as her organ's malefunctioned...and her tongue even cracked apart,large decaying sores that were a half inch deep etc. The same with a few buddies, who asked me to help them in their dying moment's...yet...there was nothing I could do ... death is something that play's over and over like a video in my head just about every night when I sleep. I never got used to it yet.My dream state is so real ... that I smell the rotting flesh ... so I learned long ago...that death and horror are a part of me. That's all on that.

Wise point's(4) that you pointed out... on the opposition. Indeed my dear... it is a dog eat dog world... that is the reality, the most disgusting part to me is not the law of the jungle, but the lying and hypocrisy of it.The jungle is like a prison, a man told me who is incarcerated once in California(Charlie Manson)that he feel's really comfortable where he is...because at least it's honest, in prison you know what you are getting...there's no BS. I know alot of people see him as a lunatic...but actually when it comes to life... he is VERY honest, his crazy skit's he display's are basically to insult society, because he know's how phoney they are and what they expect, one thing I can say... is he tell's it like it is... I am not condoning any allegation's against him or whatever...I am using him as an example of truth. We live in a jungle that doesnt go by the rules of the jungle and is full of crap. If you can handle politic's...that's great ... it's a difficult business ... but someone need's to do it.

Butting head's with the good ole boy's? .... heh,heh,heh ... ya'll even got that problem up there, in the land of liberalism? Well ... I reckon you can find it just about anywhere's ...heh? Maybe if ya'll just sit down over a few beer's ya'll can have a better understanding of each other... maybe even reach some common ground? (just a thought... please dont get a rope for my neck)I was walking down E.82nd St. in Portland(PDX)a couple year's ago...and seen a guy wearing a confederate flag on the back of his jacket, I never expected that there, I live in Dallas...and never even seen that here! :)

Your daughter sound's like a determined young lady. Mistake's? well ... when you face consequences you may think that, but otherwise.. you do what you feel you must at the time, and one may look at it as justified retaliation. I mean ... is there such a thing as a mistake when you know in your heart you are justified and willing to pay consequences? I am sure we have all done thing's at one point or another in life we may have questioned later though.

Fundamental problem with law enforcement ... well... I guess because their human .... heh? :)

Hell I wouldnt mind getting a damn buzz off that grape flower wine! A hangover ...well it wouldnt be the first or last I reckon.... :)

Later Ms.Rita!

 
At 7:39 AM , Anonymous rita said...

Butting head's with the good ole boy's? .... heh,heh,heh ... ya'll even got that problem up there, in the land of liberalism?Remember this is a small town a little off the beaten path, it's politics are pretty conservative. Some of the Churches have a pretty strong presence, too. One of the problems is...the same group of people has been running things for years. Keeping up the Status Quo & all that. They don't like any upstarts horning in. One thing if I don't accomplish anything else, I've shaken them up pretty good.

 
At 8:50 AM , Blogger Quantum_Flux said...

Makes me very glad that you're still living and having a good time with your life as well Rita. Also, that's some neat political advice.

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Ahhhh .... okay Rita.... now I get the picture more of your town... as far as being run by the same folk's for long or whatever. Alot of small Texas town's are similar, as far as not liking new folk's getting in...and shaking up thing's. I know you probably seen similar when you lived for instance in Amarillo. Dallas/Fort Worth for instance(6.7 million population)...is much different, and is pretty much like a normal American town(city), you know.. diversified etc. I have been all over the nation about....but spent alot of that time in the larger cities... so I didnt run into that much. And even when I hunted in Southeast Texas... I lived in Houston ... not where I hunted, I would drive out there, I done alot of hunting as well in Upstate New York... but again... I lived in Brooklyn(NYC) when I did... again...driving out to those rural area's to hunt only... not getting to know the town's folk's.Also hunted in the Southern California and Nevada area's(staying though in LA and Las Vegas).. and I love the desert... alway's have. But I see exactly what you mean now. Damn girl! at times you must feel like the Lone Ranger!

Later Ms.Rita ......

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger Rita said...

qf I don't plan on dying anytime soon. At least not until I get done with all the projects that keep popping up.
Politics is exciting, practical & logical. You should consider it.

Ranch Chimp Amarillo Texas, Portland Oregon & this tiny town in Oregon that I live in are a lot different, for sure! I think the same principles apply everywhere though, just on different scales.
I don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" because I know the majority of people feel the same way I do. You've heard the phrase, "silent majority"? What if they had a voice?

 
At 10:24 AM , Blogger Quantum_Flux said...

Well, I do love competition.

 
At 2:16 AM , Blogger Prash said...

I have noted down those 4 interesting points. It could be really useful to me if I apply that in my real life to over-come difficulties... thks for this post.

 
At 6:58 PM , Blogger Rev. Barky said...

Amarillo. Been there once passing through to NM. Looked like it had not much to offer when I happened upon a real neat coffee shop next to an adult bookstore ran by a guy from California - they had great coffee, awesome breakfast burritos and a quaint rustic decor.

Onward to Vega NM where we stayed overnight and swapped a couple of letters on a sign in front of a closed Dairy Queen to say "Dog Bless America"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home